Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic dental technique that involves swishing about a tablespoon of oil in your mouth. I tend to use coconut oil. It is also known as KAVALA or GUNDUSHA. It is a good form of detox. It is usually done for about 20 minutes. You could start off doing 5 -10 minutes and gradually increase to 20 – 30 minutes. Swish the oil around and between your teeth.
This must be done on an empty stomach if you want the detox to be faster and more effective. It must also be done slowly. As with every good habit in life, consistency is key. Oil pulling must become a consistent habit, daily, for good results. It can also be done up to 3 times daily. The oil must not be swallowed as it would have become loaded with bacteria and toxins, it should be spat out into the toilet and not the sink so the oil doesn’t block the sink. At the time the oil is spat out, it should have become a white, thick foam. If the oil is clean or yellow at the time it is spat out, it indicates the oil pulling process wasn’t well done.
After oil pulling, rinse out mouth with salt water. I use organic pink Himalayan salt, it is also what I use in cooking. You can then brush your teeth as usual. It is a good idea to drink one or two cups of lukewarm water after.
Oils that can be used for oil pulling are:
I. Coconut oil
2. Sesame seed oil
3. Olive oil
4. Macadamia nut oil
It is also a good idea to change the type of oil used. This renews the potency of oil pulling.
How Does it Work?
1. The oil dissolves plaque and tartar hence the teeth become whiter.
2. Bacteria from the mouth get pulled off by the oil.
3. The mucus in the mouth dissolves in the oil because it is oil soluble. I have suffered from sinus issues for years and every day whilst oil pulling, my sinuses are drained of mucus. It works!!!
4. The oil used infuses the body with EFAS – Essential Fatty Acids. This is done sublingually (i.e under the tongue as you swish around). The EFAS bypass the gastric juices of the stomach because it’s absorbed SIL and goes straight into the bloodstream. The EFA’s omega-3 and omega-9 are very good for the skin. People who have had skin problems testified that it cleared up with their consistent oil pulling habits. It helps to clear up acne, dandruff etc.
Oil pulling is a good remedy for a number of ailments like
2. Gingivitis – there have been testimonies of people who have overcome gingivitis after I taught them about oil pulling.
3. Gum disease
4. Skin disorders
5. Arthritis – bacteria that triggers arthritis are removed during oil pulling.
I have been practising oil pulling for a few years now and I have experienced so many benefits. I can’t go a day without oil pulling anymore.
I challenge you to start up a new and healthy habit – oil pulling!!! Reduce the number of trips you and your family make to the dentists. You can begin by using our newly stocked Ma Devlin’s extra virgin cold-pressed coconut oil. 500ml bottles sold at a very affordable price.