Hemp seeds belong to a group of foods called superfoods. Superfoods are nutrient-rich foods that are especially beneficial for health and well-being.
Hemp seeds do not cause any psychotropic effects even though it’s botanically related to the drug/medicinal varieties of cannabis( cannabis sativa) marijuana plant.
However it contains just a little of the THC ( tetrahydrocannabinol) which causes the high. Hemp seeds have the right balanced ratio of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, vitamins A, D, E and many of the B vitamins. It’s rich in sodium. Calcium, dietary fibre and iron. Don’t ignore and miss the nutritional health benefits of hemp seeds which include balancing hormones, improving digestion and metabolism .
These seeds are actually a perfect protein because as they contain all the 20 amino acids and even the 9 essential ones the body can’t produce. They are rich in both types of fibre. It’s one of the food items in which you get the right balance of 3:1 of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which are very important in cardiovascular health, reducing inflammation thus fighting arthritis. They are loaded with vitamins and minerals like: Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5 , B6, D , E. Calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, phosphorous, zinc.
Hemp seeds are also rich in GLA – gamma linolenic acid, a powerful anti cancer substance. Other sources of GLA include primrose oil and borage oil.
Health benefits of hemp seeds:
- Hemp contains lots of plant sterols and antioxidants that can help reduce risk of colon, breast and prostrate cancers.
- They help control sugar levels as it contains healthy days that help in the quick absorption of glucose from the blood
- Hemp seeds are natural appetite suppressants hence help with weight loss. Adding about 4 tablespoons to your breakfast cereal or smoothie will keep you full.
- They promote digestive health as it high in both soluble and insoluble fibre.
- They have powerful anti inflammatory properties thus helps people with arthritis.
This talked about seeds are beneficial to skin, hair and nails, you find them in a lot of health and beauty products. I’m not a fan of a lot of chemicals added to these beauty products. Look out as we hope to produce our own fedora natural and chemical free hair products with pure hemp seeds and oil. Hemp seed oil is great for treating psoriasis and eczema.
It’s been researched and found that the THC in hemp seeds can stop and possibly reverse glioblastoma multiforme- a deadly form of brain cancer( the British journal of cancer). The journal of breast cancer research and treatment confirmed the THC in hemp seeds improved advanced stage breast cancer. Researchers from the university of Rostock in Germany discovered it’s benefits for lung cancer. Hence, consuming hemp seeds can be part of a healthy anti-cancer diet and natural health treatment plan. Also, they are great for cardiovascular health.
How to use hemp seeds
- You can sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons on your oats and salads. I do that.
- It can be used to make hemp milk and you can have that instead of dairy milk by taking a 1:4 ratio of hemp seeds with water, you could add honey to taste, blend and serve it. You can then refrigerate.
- Add a few spoons to your smoothies.
- You can add to yoghurt and smoothies: I do this and add other seeds like chia, sesame seeds and fruit. This makes them the food very nutrient dense
- It can be added to your chia seed pudding or jelly
- Add to homemade salad dressing
- Use to make energy bars. Our energy bars are nutrient dense , loaded with seeds and nuts, no sugar or chemicals and very filling.